Simple Time Management Tips by Jacquie Ross
Whether you are a “working-outside-the-home” or a “stay-at-home” mom, trying to find extra time in your day just to relax is probably a challenge, so I have ten easy time management tips to help you to be more productive in order to reclaim more time in your day.
- Begin your day 15-30 minutes earlier and decide how you want to use the extra time, so that it doesn’t get “lost” in your usual routine.
- Spend 10 minutes each evening writing down what you want to achieve the next day. First thing in the morning is also a good time to write down your goals for the day when the children are still asleep.
- Combine your errands whenever possible by visiting the grocery store, gas station, dry cleaners, DVD rental, etc. on the same day. Or pick two days a week to run your errands.
- If you are home with young children, talk to another parent about swapping childcare for a couple of hours. Then when it’s your turn for a break, use the time to organize a space or have some fun!
- Plan your meals for the week and then shop for the ingredients. If you have time on the weekend, cook some meals and refrigerate or freeze to serve later in the week.
- Every evening, plan your outfit, set the breakfast table, and pack lunches to prepare for the next day. If you have school-aged children, encourage them to have their backpacks ready the night before.
- Take advantage of idle time. Waiting rooms, drive-through lines and commuter rides are great places to catch up on reading, filling out forms and other paperwork.
- When scheduling your day, leave room in between appointments. Block the time on your calendar, if necessary. Emergencies do arise and if your schedule is packed tight, you will always be running late.
- Take control of your time by recording your favorite TV programs, so that you can watch them on your schedule. You will also save time because you won’t have to sit through the commercials.
- If you feel like you never have enough time to do what you want to do, then it might be time to take a good look at your commitments. Maybe you just need to say no to some requests and consider delegating some of your responsibilities.
By incorporating just a few of these tips into your day, you will eventually reclaim the extra time you need to spend some time on you!
© Jacquie Ross | Jacquie Ross is a Professional Organizer, writer, speaker and owner of Maryland based, CastAway the Clutter! Jacquie serves clients in the Baltimore metro area and is a member of the National Association of Professional Organizers (NAPO) and the NAPO-Baltimore chapter. She teaches homeowners and professionals how to get organized and reclaim their time and space. Jacquie is also the Organized Families writer for the Baltimore Examiner and the author of Take Control of Your Clutter Before it Takes Control of You: 101 Tips to Success. Sign up for her organizing tips for moms at www.CastAwaytheClutter.com.
And if you liked these tips feel free to check out the webinar Creating Grace, Space, & Pace with Your Own ‘Just Whelmed’ Calendar. This friendly and focused 90-minute webinar is for those who are ready to gain a sense of control over their schedules and to-do lists.