To-Do List Part 2 by Carrie Greene
Just having something on your to-do list does not mean you’ll get it done. Try these 10 strategies to help motivate you to get started and follow through on your tasks.
- Make sure you have a good understanding of what is expected of you. If you’re not sure then the task to include on your to-do list needs to be to learn more about what has to be done not the task itself.
- Use action words when describing a task. Instead of just writing “Fred” on your list write “Call Fred and schedule follow up meeting” You might want to even add Fred’s phone number and when you plan to make the call.
- Know yourself and take your energy levels and habits into consideration when scheduling a task. For instance, are you a morning person? If so schedule more difficult things in the morning.
- Your mind is the most powerful tool you have…when you tell yourself that you can do something, you can.
- Keep in mind what having the task completed will do for you. Do the task for reasons that matter to you, not because someone told you to.
- Do something, anything. By doing something, it really doesn’t matter what; you will often gain the momentum you need to keep going.
- Break up large tasks into smaller ones. It’s very hard to find large blocks of time to accomplish whole projects. Instead break up these tasks into smaller chunks by asking yourself: “What is one thing I can do to advance this project one step?”
- Assign a set amount of time to work (15 minutes, ½ an hour, 1 hour…) and commit to working on your project of that amount of time. Set a timer for yourself and stop when the timer goes off.
- Deadlines are great motivators but even more important is to set a time to actually do the work.
- Find someone to be accountable to, a friend, colleague, a coach, a partner and tell them what your plan is and how and when you are going to accomplish it.
© Carrie Greene, is an expert at helping entrepreneurs calm the overwhelm and turn it into profitable opportunities.
Work with Carrie to get organized, get places and get things done on time, figure out your priorities and get the projects that you start done. Cross things off your to-do list, declutter, defeat procrastination and keep the motivation and momentum going for the long run. Work with Carrie to carry through on the steps it takes to reach your goals. For free resources, including Carrie’s 4-part ecourse to help you calm the overwhelm, create space and reclaim your freedom, please visit www.CarrieThru.com.
Are you safe? Do you have time, energy, and attention thieves lurking around you – ready to rob you of your most precious resources?
If that sounds like you, and you’re ready to banish those burglars once and for all, you will love this practical and specific Get a Plan! Guide® to Thwarting the Thieves of Your Time, Energy, & Attention. If you like reading and having a document to refer to, you may purchase and download this 47-page, full-color Get a Plan! Guide®. You’ll be glad you did!